Triskaidekaphobia in case you were unaware is a fear of the number 13. Since today, Friday the 13th, is traditionally one of the unluckiest days of the year we thought we would round up a few scary or fun (depending on how you look at things) facts about the day and the number 13.
* October the 13th 1989 was the 2nd largest drop of the Dow in history to date (an even scarier fact is that this drop doesn’t even make the top 10 list now)
* Italians omit the number 13 in their national lottery
* More than 80% of hotels omit the 13th floor
* If you have 13 letters in your name you are said to have the devil’s luck – too bad for our Conference Director Sarah Hathaway! (Yup, add it up. That’s 13 letters…)
* In 1939, a small town in Indiana forced all black cats to wear bells on Friday, Oct. 13. When the decree seemed to work (nothing bad happened, at any rate), the town continued the practice for the next three years.
Has anything unlucky or wacky ever happened to you on Friday the 13th?