All this week, news stations have been broadcasting round-the-clock coverage of the Royal Wedding. This morning, Prince William and Kate happily said their ‘I do’s’, so we thought now it’s time to celebrate something near and dear to New Yorkers’ hearts, the Empire State Building.
For those of you who don’t know, the Empire State Building will be turning 80 on Sunday, May 1st. We wanted to wish this iconic New York building an early Happy Birthday, and share some fun facts you may not know about this National Historic Landmark:
* The Empire State Building took one year and 45 days to build, and was finished ahead of schedule
* There are 102 floors, 1,860 stairs and 6,500 windows
* Construction began on St. Patrick’s Day (How LUCKY!) – March 17, 1930
* It was built where the original Waldorf Astoria stood
* The 1st light to shine atop the building was to alert those within a 50-mile radius that Franklin Delano Roosevelt had been elected President in November 1932.
* The tower lights that are illuminated in a variety of colors for special occasions and holidays are changed MANUALLY
* Over 220 couples have been officially married at the Empire State Building, a tradition that started in 1992.
Did we miss any? Let us know!