Everyone knows how hard it can be to find the perfect gift for someone. Whether you are searching for a close friend or colleague, sometimes it’s simply difficult to pick out a gift that you know the other person will love. Usually, when I’m in this position I go with the “safe gift,” maybe a scarf and gloves set or something simple, but others may try to give the most original gift they can find. In keeping up with the holiday theme of our blog this week, and the season of giving, we decided to poll a few of our clients and friends, asking them this question: “What is the worst holiday gift you have ever received?” Check out the list below to see which items you should NOT be adding to your shopping list this year:
1. John Avery, SunGard – “I love all my gifts” – always so kind
2. Jeff Cobb, Cobb & Associates – “Rum cakes from the Cayman (usually about 20).”
3. Daniel Strachman, Author & Consultant – “The worst gift I ever got was a Virginia Ham – as someone who does not dig on the swine – it was just simply a waste.”
4. Holly Miller, Stone House Consulting – “Two years ago, my loving daughter was knitting socks for me, she was behind schedule, so she gave me one sock for Christmas. I am still waiting for the other sock.”
5. Kevin Cullen, Information Mosaic – “After thinking about it and conferring with my wife (who never gave me a bad present) I guess the worst present I ever received was one of those beer-drinking helmets that hold 2 cans of beer and has straws. My brother gave it to me.”
6. Philip Lawton, Stone House Consulting – “My sister’s boyfriend gave me a Big Mouth Billy Bass, the Singing Sensation, featuring Synchromotion™ Technology. It’s motion activated!”
7. Al Baldwin (The Sister’s Boyfriend from above), Former CT Prosecutor – wanting to redeem himself pointed out that Philip has gifted him a Bugs Bunny Chia Pet as well as the famous Clapper.
So now it’s your turn. Let us know, can any of your gifts top this list?